MEN'S SOCCER PROGRAM - PLAYER ELIGIBILITY RULES:
- players must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA
- it is the students and parents responsibility to check grades
- anyone below the requirement may not play or practice but will be required to do schoolwork on the sideline or in another designated location
- players are expected to actively participate in all games and practices
- player must suit up every day even if he or she is not able to practice, this is part of your grade
- missing practices or games is unacceptable
- players (not their parent) are responsible for communication with their coach. If they are going to be absent please email to schedule a time to meet with the coach prior to missing games or practice. They will not be able to speak to individual players or their parents during or after games or practices.
- absence will affect a player's grade and playing time unless it is excused by the coach
Athletic Release Forms are available here and in the Men's Athletics section.
- all 6 forms need to be printed, read, signed and returned
- All paper work must be returned by the first week of November to Coach Pluma
All players must complete a physical by the first week of November. Please make appointments 3 months in advance. Walk-in physicals may cost approximately $25. Low Cost / Free Physicals are available at Health on Wheels:
Health on Wheels
Norwalk-La Mirada USD
12820 Pioneer Boulevard, Norwalk, CA 90650
Phone: (562) 868-0431 ext. 2242 | Fax: (562) 868-1297
To schedule an appointment, call us at (562) 884-1947 or contact the school site liaison.
CIF RULE 600 - COMPETITION ON AN OUTSIDE TEAM
NHS Soccer Players cannot play or practice with another team during the entire high school season, including preseason and CIF playoffs. The rule does not specify but includes indoor/futsal, adult leagues, and pick-up games played at any time.
RULE 600 - COMPETITION ON AN OUTSIDE TEAM -- The following information and explanation effects ALL levels of competition. This includes varsity, junior varsity, sophomore and freshman teams.
A student on a high school soccer team CANNOT compete on an "outside" soccer team during the student's high school season of sport.
The CIF-SS, which your school is a member, further defines that the student's "season of sport" begins with his/her FIRST interscholastic competition which includes a practice game, tournament game or league game. (Thanksgiving week is the official start date for soccer.)
QUESTION: What exactly does this mean?
ANSWER: No member of a high school soccer team can compete on an "outside soccer team" which has 6 or more players after his/her first practice game, tournament game or league game for his/her high school. This includes INDOOR SOCCER or FUTSAL, ADULT LEAGUES AND PICK-UP GAMES.
RULE 604 - BYLAW 600 PENALTY
(1) FIRST OFFENSE IN HIGH SCHOOL CAREER IN ANY SPORT - The student becomes immediately ineligible for participation with his/her high school team for a number of contests equal to twice the number of contests of outside competition in which the student participated.
(2) ANY SUBSEQUENT OFFENSE IN HIGH SCHOOL CAREER IN ANY SPORT -
The student becomes immediately ineligible for one year (365 days) from the second infraction in all sports.
(3) APPEALS -Upon written appeal to the Section Commissioner, the student may petition his/her section for reinstatement of his/her eligibility status.
(1) GAMES FORFEITED - Games in which a student participated on his/her high school team after violation of CIF Bylaw 600 shall be forfeited.
(2) APPEALS - Sections may establish rules and procedures to consider requests for waivers of game forfeitures.