Skip to main content

Norwalk La Mirada Unified School District

Main Menu Toggle
Welcome Norwalk-La Mirada families and community to the 2022-23 school year! ¡Bienvenidos familias y comunidad de Norwalk-La Mirada al año escolar 2022-23!
Staff email: Office 365
Enroll In NLMUSD » Kindergarten Enrollment

Kindergarten Enrollment

2021-2022 Kindergarten Enrollment

KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATIONS: Parents are reminded that registration of Kindergarten students for 2021-2022 school year will begin at all elementary schools in the Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District starting April 23, 2021. Your cooperation in registering children as early as possible provides the school and district with information that helps determine the needs for teaching staff for our Kindergarten classes next August.

Age Requirements: The Kindergarten age limit is set by California Law. 

In order to enter Kindergarten in August 2021, a child must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2021.

Students born between September 2 through December 2 are eligible for Transitional Kindergarten (TK).
TK sites are:  Dolland, Dulles, Edmondson, Foster Road, Glazier, La Pluma, Lampton, Moffitt, and Morrison.
If your school of residence does not house a TK class, you may enroll your child at another school with a TK class in our district by applying of an intra-district permit. Please visit or contact the Student and Family Services Department.
Oral Health Assessment: State law requires that all children entering Kindergarten or first grade, whichever is his or her first year in public school, have an oral health assessment. The law specifies that the assessment must be done by a licensed dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional. An assessment within 12 months of enrollment into school also meets this requirement. Click here for more information.

Physical Examination: State law requires that all children entering first grade must have received a physical examination (CHDP) within 18 months before or within 3 months after entering first grade. Click here for more information.

Health Information: State law requires that students entering California public schools for the first time must be fully immunized.  Click here for more information.

Proof Of Birthdate: It is not necessary to take the child to the school at the time of registration. However, some proof of birthdate (such as baptismal record, passport or birth certificate) must be furnished. Children must be enrolled using the surname listed on the document submitted to satisfy the requirement (unless the surname has been changed by “Court Order”). If you do not have such proof, the following suggestion may be of help:

If a child was born in Los Angeles County, request a birth certificate at the Los Angeles County Registrar/Recorder Birth Records, 12400 Imperial Hwy, Norwalk, CA 90650. The following information is needed: Name of Child; Day, Month, Year of Birth; Place of Birth; Name of Father; Maiden Name of Mother.  A $28.00 fee is required. You may also use the form “Affidavit for Proof of Age of Minor”, available at your school. Proof of birthdate is also required of children entering first grade who have not previously attended Kindergarten.

Verification of Residency: Proof of residency is required upon enrollment of the student. Acceptable documents: utility bills (telephone bills are not accepted), rental agreement or other appropriate documentation. Click here for forms and information.