Dear Norwalk-La Mirada Community,
Welcome to the 2023-24 school year! I am thrilled to welcome back our students and families for another year full of achievement and accolades. This year our theme is “Let’s Go for the Gold”, which deepens our commitment to provide resources for a positive learning environment for our students, teachers, and staff.
I invite you to view my welcome back message which is available below.
As we embark on the start of a new school year, please review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) below and contact your school site or appropriate District Office Department should you have any additional questions.
When is the first day of school?
- The 2023-24 school year begins on Thursday, August 17th.
Where can I find my school calendar?
- Your school site has or will be sending the calendar prior to the beginning of the year. If you have not received it, please visit your school’s website to view the calendar.
Are meal applications required for students?
- No meal applications are required for students. Breakfast and lunch are free to all students. Please visit the District Nutrition Services homepage for more information by clicking the link below.
- NLM Nutrition Services
- Norwalk-La Mirada encourages families to complete the optional Alternative Income Form located in the link below.
- Alternative Income Form
- This section is very important. It ensures your child's school gets the funding it deserves for academic enrichment, tutoring, arts, field trips, and sports.
Does NLM offer bus transportation for students?
- The Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District offers free home-to-school transportation to all general education students living within their school of attendance and subject to the following transportation guidelines:
- Grades TK through 5th grade, from addresses located not less than 1.1 miles from the school.
- Grades 6th through 8th grade, from addresses located not less than 2.0 miles from the school.
- Grades 9th through 12th, from addresses located not less than 2.5 miles from the school.
- Please visit You My School Locator to check your child’s transportation eligibility.
- All students are required to have a bus pass for safety and ride confirmation. Each student must complete the 23-24 Bus Pass Application to confirm eligibility.
- If your student requires specialized transportation services (e.g., wheelchair, door-to-door, bus aide, etc.), a bus pass application is not needed. Please contact your IEP Case Carrier at your student’s school or the Special Education Department at (562) 210-2080.
- For more information, visit the District Transportation department website linked below.
- NLM Transportation Department
What should I do if my child’s required immunizations are not up to date?
- Please note that students missing required immunizations will not be allowed to attend school.
- Families can visit their primary physician or separate clinic to receive immunizations.
I still need to register my student, where do I go?
- Registration is done entirely online and can be completed by visiting the District registration website at the link below.
- Enroll in NLMUSD
I wish everyone a wonderful year and welcome back to NLMUSD!
With NLM Pride,
Dr. John Lopez