Skip to main content

Norwalk La Mirada Unified School District

Main Menu Toggle
Staff email: Office 365
Risk / Safety Management » Workers Compensation

Workers Compensation

Workers Compensation 

What is Workers’ Compensation?

If you get hurt on the job, the District is required by law to provide workers’ compensation benefits to you.  An injury or illness might occur from:

One event at work - Examples: hurting your back in a fall, getting burned by a chemical that splashes on your skin, getting hurt in a car accident while making deliveries.

Repeated exposures at work - Examples: hurting your wrist from doing the same motion over and over, losing your hearing because of constant loud noise.

What are the benefits?

Injured workers are entitled to receive benefits when they sustain an injury “arising out of and in the course of” employment.  There are four basic types of benefits available, depending on the nature and severity of the worker's injury:

1. Medical and Hospital Care – All authorized medical expenses are fully covered. You are entitled to receive all medical and hospital treatment reasonably required to cure or relieve your work related injury.  There is no deductible or dollar limit. The insurance claims administrator pays these fees directly to the physician or health care facility, so you do not receive a bill.

2. Disability Payments – There are two types:

    1. Temporary Disability – If hospitalized or unable to work, you are eligible to receive income.  These payments will be made according to state law and District policy.  Contact the Payroll Department for further information.
    2. Permanent Disability – If your injury results in permanent impairment that reduces your ability to compete in the labor market, you may be entitled to permanent disability indemnity benefits.

3. Vocational Rehabilitation – If you cannot return to your job because of a work-related injury or illness, and if the District does not offer modified work or an alternative job, you may qualify for supplemental job displacement benefits.  The insurance claim administrator will coordinate payment of benefits.

4. Death Benefits – If a work-related injury or illness results in death, benefits may be paid to your qualified dependents as provided by state law.

What’s not covered?

Workers’ compensation may not cover injuries that result from the employee’s voluntary participation in any off-duty recreational, social or athletic activity that is not a part of the employee’s regular work-related duties.

What do you do if an employee is hurt on the job?

1. If immediate medical attention is necessary, assist employee.

2. Give the Workers' Compensation Claim Form (DWC-1) to the employee within one working day of notice of potential work-related injury or illness.   A delay in reporting an injury or illness may cause a delay in receipt of workers’ compensation benefits. Have employee complete top section and give employee a copy.

3. Call Risk Management Department (Extension 102110) to report accident.

4. Send original DWC-1 to Risk Management within 24 hours.

5. Direct injured employee to call the CorVel Nurse at (877) 764-3574.

6. Keep the Risk Management Department informed: 

a)     Following any physician visit(s), send doctor’s notes to Risk Management, or

b)     When lost time transpires, or

c)     When work restrictions are assigned, or

d)    If there are any concerns or the condition worsens.

7. Stay in touch weekly with the injured employee to ensure a smooth transition back to pre-injury status.

8. Complete the Supervisor’s Report of Employee Accident Investigation and return it to Risk Management within 48 hours of the accident.


What to do if an employee is disabled from work?

Certain positions require finding a substitute for each regular daily shift.  Contact the Risk Management Department to initiate the sub-finder procedure.

What are the employee’s responsibilities when reporting a work-related injury?

1.Report the injury or illness to your supervisor immediately.

2. Complete and sign the employee portion of the Workers' Compensation Claim Form (DWC-1).  By returning the form, you are actually filing a workers’ compensation claim.

3. Obtain immediate medical attention, if necessary.

4. Schedule all follow up visits and physical therapy treatment off the clock.  Paid time off will only be given for appointments with specialists.

5. Return doctor’s status reports to Risk Management Department.

6. Keep your supervisor informed – Following each physician visit(s), when lost time transpires, when work restrictions are assigned, or if you have concerns and/or the condition worsens.

7. If your doctor prescribes work restrictions, the Risk Management Department will attempt to find modified or alternate temporary work.  It may be necessary for you to work within another department.

What is fraud and how do you report it?

Any person who makes or causes to be made any knowingly false or fraudulent material statement or material representation for the purpose of obtaining or denying workers’ compensation benefits or payments is guilty of a felony.  Please report any fraudulent activity to the Risk Management Department at extension 102110 or by calling CorVel at (909) 257-3732.

Need an expert? If you have any questions, please contact Risk Management at extension 102110.

Related Links:

California Division of Workers' Compensation

CorVel Corporation